Girl burned by homemade slime — GRAPHIC

Posted March 30, 2017

Children create their own slime during Mattel's Take Our Children To Work Day workshop in El Segundo, Calif., in April 2007.

Siobhan Quinn said her 11-year-old daughter, Kathleen, endured second and third-degree burns on her hands after playing with the homemade slime, a "do it yourself" trend that surged in popularity this year thanks to social media.

Kathleen said she still feels pain after last weekend's event, and it hurts to even hold a pencil when she writes at school. Quinn said she was happy when her daughter made a decision to do something educational. I told her we should wait a bit. "I encouraged it, bought all the stuff and when they were gone I bought more. She was being a little scientist".

"They are still very painful and they're kind of in a claw, so they're not very straight, " Kathleen said.

"It felt like really hot and tingly", Kathleen told ABC 13. She noticed weeks ago that Kathleen's hands had been more sensitive than usual and thought perhaps eczema had caused the reaction.

"The doctor's said that her hands reacted to the chemicals in the slime after prolonged exposure". The girls burns are attributed to one component, borax (sodium tetraborate), a product that was commonly used in cleaning and laundry before the advent of advanced detergents and enzyme cleaners.

Problems often arise when kids use household cleaners in their DIY recipes. But her parents hope others share their daughter's story as a warning to beware of homemade slime, and be extra cautious when using Borax.

Quinn's mother said: 'She was crying in pain, "My hands hurt, my hands hurt".

Homemade slime has been the latest craze among children in recent months.

The box clearly labels borax as an eye irritant and harmful if swallowed. "The doctors agreed it was a chemical burn from the borax".

Elmer's has increased production of its most popular slime-making glues, while other retailers are also trying to capitalize on the phenomenon. "I feel like the worst mother".

A quick YouTube search produces several slime or "gak" recipes using borax mixed with glue, water and food coloring.