Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said talks between Russian President Vladimir Putin and US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson were fruitful.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, who hosted his Iranian and Syrian counterparts at a trilateral meeting in Moscow, denounced last week's us attack on Syria as a "flagrant violation" of worldwide law and warned that any further such action would entail "grave consequences not only for regional but global security".
Tillerson, on his first visit to Russian Federation in his current role, struck a more conciliatory stance, but said ties and trust levels were at a low point and restated Washington's position that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad must eventually relinquish power, a position starkly at odds with Russian Federation. He said the two sides would also discuss disagreements on Syria and how to end the country's six-year civil war.
President Donald Trump ordered the strikes on a Syrian airbase in response to the April 4 attack on Khan Sheikhoun that killed more than 80 people, including children.
In the latest veto, Russian Federation blocked a draft resolution backed by the United States, France and Britain to denounce the attack in the town of Khan Sheikhoun and tell Assad's government to provide access for investigators and information such as flight plans.
-Russian relations - which echoed a similar assessment made by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson hours earlier in Moscow - came Wednesday after a meeting with NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg at the White House. But any such expectations have been dashed amid the war in Syria and ongoing USA investigations into Russia's alleged interference in America's USA presidential election.
In some ways, Russia's veto isn't surprising.
Lavrov signaling Russian Federation wants more information.
It's suspected that sarin gas was used in an attack on a northern Syrian town at the start of April.
Trump's comments on the state of U.S.
"Russia, as their closest ally in the conflict, perhaps has the best means of helping Assad recognise this reality", he told a news conference.
However, the Russian President and his officials dismissed USA evidence that Assad had carried out the attack, and Putin added a "bombshell prediction" of his own: Unnamed forces were going to carry out more chemical weapons attacks and blame these on Assad.
The three countries are calling for two investigations, an independent probe into the chemical attack and another investigation into the United States missile strike.
"The Syrian government repeatedly said it does not have chemical weapons, that is because they were all seized in 2014".