Allardyce reveals expectations for Palace next season

Posted May 22, 2017

"I'm not going to try and be coy about it".

Allardyce, who at the time of his departure said he had been victim of "entrapment" by The Daily Telegraph newspaper, added Saturday he regretted mocking England predecessor Roy Hodgson's speech impediment in his filmed meetings with undercover reporters.

"There's a bit of psychology but it's also about educating the players".

But a victory over Middlesbrough at the end of February proved the start of a remarkable run that eventually secured their top-flight status.

Allardyce has been questioned whether Palace can push on and finish in the top half next season, but moved to quell that discussion. Steve gave us a chance to come and save Palace and we've both got what we wanted.

"It was Wembley and I hadn't even had the opportunity to get a game under my belt there".

"So look in the future and not in the past, because you can't affect the past anymore".

Asked whether he accepted the Palace offer to prove himself, Allardyce said: "Not prove myself, just come and get working again". Getting in amongst it, where I'm most familiar, and trying to help another team that's said, 'We're in a hard position, do you think you can help us get out of it?'

"You can't be more impressed with that and you can't con anyone that he didn't make a massive difference to us, we won some massive games with him".

Allardyce has since returned to management via Crystal Palace in the Premier League but the 62-year-old opened up on the mental and physical pain he suffered after his exit.

It is also suggested that Chinese Super League team Shanghai SIPG were originally taking part in the pre-season tournament, but have since pulled out, with Crystal Palace set to take the club's spot.

Dr Ryland Morgans said: "The players thought I'd strip everything back".